Now that the kids are back in school, what’s there to do after Labor Day?! Plenty of free activities going on in San Diego, here’s the top things we’re attending, along with everything else further down! I love finding the best deals, in real estate, and in everyday life. If you want to know what’s good and how to get it for less, let’s connect.
- The Birthstone: Sapphire / Flower: Aster
- The zodiac signs are Virgo (Aug 23 – Sept 22) and Libra (Sept 23 – Oct 22)
- Labor Day (Sept 3) / Patriot Day (Sept 11)
National Potato Month / National Piano Month / National Biscuit Month
- CHEAP & EASY – Sept 7th – For us, September means the coming of fall and cooler temps (usually!). On Friday, Sept 7th, Volcan Valley Apple Farm in Julian is having it’s first day of the timeless U-Pick Apples from their orchards at $12 per bag. I’ve had this calendared over a year since I missed the shorter season by September’s end last year, these just taste better, especially when you see the love and effort put into caring for the orchards. Tip: A full bag of apples is heavy, don’t underestimate how many can fit into a single bag. Here’s pretty much every apple recipe I could find on Epicurious, I’ve already spend way to long cataloging what I want to make. Knowing myself and how little time I have between work and life, I hope to accomplish a few new attempts this year.
- FREE – Sept 7-9th – Polo at Hotel Del Coronado, while it’s not technically free, the beach is public and therefore, I’ll be taking a walk on the public side of the beach and viewing the match from the ocean. You can buy VIP seating and attend the events surrounding the horses.
- DISCOUNTED – Sept 23-30th – I’m pretty ready for our yearly date nights wrapped in 3-4 course tasting menus at heavily discounted prices for lunch and dinner. I try and meal prep and eat in as much as possible but from Sept 23- 30th is San Diego’s Restaurant Week and you can expect to see me going to some of my go-to staples and new ventures as well. There’s over 180 restaurants participating, check out the lunch tasting menus for even better savings. You can filter by area, type of food, price, lunch/dinner, or scan through all restaurants and try not to get hungry. From years past, they typically extend another week past so don’t miss out if you’re traveling.
- Sept 14-16th – If you’re sensing food is my thing, you’re right. In attempts to balance my food obsession, here’s my favorite concerts coming up: KAABOO Del Mar Festival of course. Prices have gone up but I’d still venture to say the line-up is well worth it, oh and there’s a lot of food at the event. Like Reggie? Check out Free Rein Summer Tour in Chula Vista.
- FREE weekly – don’t forget the local vendors and markets around San Diego. Find your closest market here, http://sandiegomarkets.com/. There’s other markets around but I haven’t been able to find a comprehensive list of San Diego County yet, when I do, I’ll post it!
- FREE – Sept 28-30th – La Mesa Oktoberfest plan ahead for this since parking logistics can get a little crazy. Don’t forget your lederhosen! There is VIP option for $45 per person which get’s you quick entry, 2 beers, commemorative stein and a flower crown garland.
- FREE – Sept 29-30 – Adams Avenue Street Fair
Play on the Bay Sept. 7
Enjoy spectacular food, drinks, live music, a silent auction and more in an unforgettable evening on the bay. Proceeds benefit DonorsChoose.org, a non-profit assisting public school teachers with the supplies and equipment they need for their classrooms.
Time/Place: 6-9pm / Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Beach Polo Cup Sept. 7-9
Polo matches, a lavish VIP tent, stylish informal fashion modeling, boutiques selling everything from jewelry to designer clothing to yachts, the Porsche Million Dollar Road Rally and much more.
Time/Place: Hotel del Coronado
Burgers & Beers Sept. 8
Try gourmet burgers from more than 20 of San Diego’s best restaurants as they compete to win the “Best Burger” award. Enjoy unlimited beer samples from over 40 of the best breweries San Diego has to offer.
Time/Place: 1-4pm / Golden Hill Park
KGB Sky Show Sept. 8
Blending lighting, video and special effects to enhance the fireworks display following an exciting SDSU football game.
Time/Place: 5pm / SDCCU Stadium
Carlsbad Brewfest Sept. 8
Craft beer with tastings from more than 34+ San Diego & national breweries, music, entertainment, games & food vendors.
Time/Place: 12-4:30pm / Holiday Park: 3400 Pio Pico Drive
San Diego Blues Festival Sept. 8
Features 9 musical acts on two stages. Festival attendees will enjoy local craft beer, cocktails and wine along with specialty food trucks and arts and crafts vendors.
Time/Place: 12-8pm / Embarcadero Marina Park North
South Bay Pride Art & Musical Festival Sept. 8
Fun for all with live entertainment, local art, food, drinks and more! Children’s Area includes bungee jumping, inflatables and more.
Time/Place: 12-8pm / Chula Vista Bayside Park
Cardiff Greek Festival Sept. 8-9
Be Greek for the day and enjoy authentic food, music, live entertainment, dancing, children’s activities and more.
Time/Place: Sat 10am-10pm, Sun 11am-9pm / Sts. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church
Taste of Downtown Sept. 13
Enjoy tantalizing tastes from more than 40 Restaurants located throughout the East Village, City Center and Gaslamp Quarter.
Time/Place: 5-9pm / Downtown San Diego
Contact: 619-234-0201 / www.downtownsandiego.org
Sorrento Valley Beer Festival Sept. 14
Fresh, cool craft beer, delicious food, live music, fun games, fire pits and plenty of comfortable seating.
Time/Place: 5-9pm / Party Pals: 10427 Roselle St.
America’s Finest BBQ State Championship Sept. 14-15
Compete in a KCBS sanctioned BBQ competition, sample world class BBQ and enjoy the beer garden, all while watching the San Diego Bayfair’s World Series of Powerboat Racing.
Time/Place: Mission Bay: Crown Point Park
San Diego Bayfair Sept. 14-16
World Series of Powerboat Racing – a family festival tradition for more than 40 years speeds to the finish line.
Time/Place: 8am-4pm / Mission Bay Park
Santee Bluegrass Festival Sept. 15
Fine wines, a bevy of brews, tasty treats, bidding bazaar and live Bluegrass music. Annual fundraiser.
Time/Place: 5:30-9:30pm / Town Center Community Park East
Julian Music Festival Sept. 15
Celebrate with bluegrass to celebrate the festival’s roots and Western ballads to remember the past and present.
Time/Place: 1-7pm / Menghini Winery
Old Town San Diego Fiestas Patrias Sept. 15
Our exciting Fiestas Patrias parade kicks off the festivities that will include the Escaramuzas, traditional women equestrians. Following the parade, there will be a variety of entertainment.
Time/Place: 12-4pm / Old Town State Historic Park
Contact: 619-220-5422 / www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=663
Taste of South Park Sept. 15
Hallmarked by an eclectic mix of restaurants, bars and pubs, coffee houses and family dining spots, chart a course for South Park and satisfy all your foodie cravings in one day!
Time/Place: 12-4pm / South Park at Fern St.
Oceanside Harbor Days Sept. 15-16
Sun, sand, and surf including a costume party for kids 12 and under at Pirate Village; Arts, Crafts and Food booth areas; Nail ‘n’ Sail Competition; music, a beer garden and more.
Time/Place: 9am-5pm / Oceanside Harbor
Ironman 70.3 Superfrog Sept. 16
The challenging course was designed by a group of Navy Seals stationed at the US Navy Seals center in Coronado to both prepare them for the IRONMAN World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii and to enhance their training.
Time/Place: 7-11am / Imperial Beach Pier
San Diego Quilt Show Sept. 20-22
Enjoy hundreds of quilts on display and over 40 vendors featuring everything quilters and others, need, want and love. This year’s theme is “Wild West.”
Time/Place: Fri & Sat 10am-6pm, Sun 9am-4pm / SD Convention Center
Contact: 619-443-2706 / www.sandiegoquiltshow.com
Semper Tri, Devil Dog Duathlon & 7K Run Sept. 22
Help us support quality of life programs for our Marines, Sailors & their Families by taking part in the Semper Triathlon, Devil Dog Duathlon and 7K No Beach Out of Reach Run.
Time/Place: 7am-12:30pm / Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton
Bonitafest Performing Arts Festival Sept. 22
Come see the South Bay’s best show choirs and stage bands, sample delicious food and take in arts and crafts.
Time/Place: 9am-4pm / Bonita Vista High School
SaltDog Classic Sept. 22
Local bands, vendors, artists, and a full on Tiki Bar rocking this year. Supporting Rancho Coastal Humane Society.
Time/Place: 11am-6pm / Seaside State Beach, Solana Beach
San Diego Festival of Beer Sept. 22
Enjoy the sounds of live music while sampling unlimited and exclusive craft beer tastings, food trucks, vendor booths, lively music, fun games, and more!
Time/Place: 12-5pm / Broadway Pier
Pacific Islander Festival Sept. 22-23
Cultures and customs of Melanesia, Micronesia and Polynesia with entertainment, food, music and specialty crafts.
Time/Place: 9am-4pm / Mission Bay’s Ski Beach
San Diego Restaurant Week Sept. 23-30
Dine deliciously at restaurants offering prix-fixe menu options throughout San Diego County.
La Mesa Oktoberfest Sept. 28-30
Hundreds of exhibitors, family friendly activities, German food, music, dancing, games and of course beer.
Time/Place: La Mesa Village
Poway Rodeo Sept. 28-29
Guests can watch contestants compete in events such as Bareback and Saddle Bronc Riding, Barrel Racing, Tie Down Roping, Steer Wrestling, Team Roping and Bull Riding.
Time/Place: Poway Valley Riders Association
Cabrillo Festival Sept. 28-29
Brightly colored clothing and dramatic music and dancing bring to life the traditions of the Native American, Mexican, Portuguese and Spanish cultures.
Time/Place: 11am-4pm / Naval Base Point Loma
MCAS Miramar Air Show Sept. 28-30
The Blue Angels, U.S. Army Golden Knights, U.S. Navy Leap Frogs, Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning and more will fill the sky over the three days of air show.
Time/Place: Marine Corps Air Station Miramar
El Cajon Oktoberfest Sept. 28-30 & Oct. 5-7
Folk dances, games, and contests, vendor booths and craft stands, and let your youngsters go crazy in the Kids’ Zone!
Time/Place: See website for schedule. / 1017 South Mollison Avenue
619-442-6637 / www.oktoberfestelcajon.com
Bayside Brew & Spirits Festival Sept. 29
Highlights the unique culture of the National City community and celebrating music and of course beer, wine and spirits.
Time/Place: 12-5pm / Pepper Park, National City
Adams Avenue Street Fair Sept. 29-30
Featuring 90 musical acts on six stages. Beer gardens and beer tastings, giant carnival rides, festival foods and more than 300 arts and crafts booths.
Time/Place: Sat 10am-10pm, Sun 10am-6pm / 34th and Adams Avenue, Normal Heights
Contact: 619-282-7329 / www.adamsavenuebusiness.com
Encinitas Oktoberfest Sept. 30
Music, Bavarian dancers, German food and drink, and a street craft faire featuring more than 200 vendors.
Time/Place: 10am-6pm / Mountain Vista Drive & El Camino Real
Contact: 760-753-6041 / www.encinitasoktoberfest.com
Treasure Chest Beer + Food Fest Sept. 30
Beer and food pairing extravaganza, will serve as a fundraiser for breast cancer charity Susan G. Komen San Diego.
Time/Place: 12-5pm / Green Flash Brewing Co., Mira Mesa